Starting an online business is pretty much the easiest and least expensive way to start something of your own. It’s never been easier or less expensive to start and grow an online business which is perfect for single mothers who struggle more than the average employee with work/family/life balance. Let’s face it. It’s hard to be in three places at once and it feels like you’re always disappointing someone.
Why do I think single moms can make this work? Well, because I’m a single mother of four and have some pretty swell online businesses that keep us in groceries and jeans for the four year old who manages to tear a hole in every single knee of his pants. Every single pair. Could be worse I guess. In the summer he tears holes in his knees. So there’s that.
I had no idea my little ol’ blog would turn into a full time job but I’m grateful that it did because when I waltzed out of my full time $75k a year job with full benefits (including massages!) I didn’t have a back up plan. The blog became my back up plan and I learned to monetize it and start making an income. It trickled in s-l-o-w-l-y. So slowly. At first. But as I figured out what worked and what didn’t, it started to pay some bills.
That blog launched into a second website, and then a third. (#3 is under construction as we prep to travel to Europe and Africa. So please excuse our mess.) Somewhere along the line I was hooked on creating and building websites and that’s when my blog became a real business. Not an overnight success story at all. But a success nonetheless.
Single moms, more than any other group I know, are hard pressed for time, energy, and resources. Working online takes some of those but in a much more manageable way. You can’t walk out on clients or from your waitressing job when your child is sick, or you’re just not feeling it that day, but you can step away from the computer with no difficulties. You can work your own hours whether it’s during the day when the kids are at school, or at night when the baby goes down. Even for an hour at a time which is how I worked when the boys were babies and I was still on a mat leave with them (Thanks, Canada!). One right after the other.
Here’s the short list of why online businesses are perfect for single mothers:
- You can work around your schedule with no one checking your hours
- No one else is going to interfere with your work or your family time
- No panic when a kid gets sick which also means you don’t have to explain taking the time off to childless or married friends who seem to have it all together
- No micromanaging boss and gossipy, snarky colleagues (Like the co-worker who loved to complain loudly about how I was never at my desk right when our supervisor was around.)
- No commute time, no fancy clothes required, and no packing a lunch
- Working from home is the least stressful job environment I can think of. Also, there’s a TV or two here. Things that seem to be frowned on at the office. Trust me. I tried.
- Casual Fridays are everyday (I wear pjs almost everyday unless I have to go somewhere!)
- Low start up costs
- Lower learning curve than regular business with less financial risk or loss while you learn
- You get to be your own boss. I seriously love my boss now. She’s a lot of fun 😉
- You get to demonstrate entrepreneurship to your children. As women in business, this is HUGE.
- As a business owner, you’re self sufficient (another important lesson for kids, particularly girls!)
- You’re not tied to a store, cubicle, or desk. As long as there’s adequate WiFi you can literally work anywhere. I happen to be in a Thai restaurant at this very moment waiting for my lunch (nom nom nom)
- My personal favorite? No more ridiculous meetings that waste everyone’s time and energy. I effing hate meetings of any kind.
Is starting an online business a ticket to easy street and lottery like winnings? Ummm. No. It’s hard work and it takes time but it’s still a heck of a lot easier than facing that cubicle and your irritating colleagues for the next 30 years. And it’s still easier than starting a regular business.
Now get out there and build something amazing!
BUSINESS IDEA OF THE DAY
Invent jeans with indestructible knees for active little boys who prefer crawling to walking or fall down a lot. I’ll buy your entire size 5 product line.